Tuesday, October 29, 2013

RIP Dear Lou








I got to meet the legend exactly one year ago. He came down to Brooklyn to read from his new book of poems, and very quickly became the best (and only) idea for a Christmas present for my husband.

It was mid week and they barely gave us any notice. They always do that when  big celebrity is coming, but still, the house was packed.  He read from  his book  with his rough, deep, broken voice. You could hear the passion behind the project, he would stop and relish on the drawings that accompanied it and the man who had made them. It was towards the end, for the Q&A, when the Lou we all expected came out, clearly annoyed with us for being there at all,  slamming down  his fans who so  eagerly struggled to come up  with an interesting question to make to their idol:

fan- "what do you consider was  your greatest achievement"
Lou- "I'm not dead yet"


Some people just don't get to die. His music will continue to be heard and cherished by generations to come, and I can make my claim to fame: I spoke to one of the gods, and managed to annoy the hell out of him.

PS I recorded the whole reading. If he'd known that he probably would have been even more annoyed